I've recently upgraded the Legroom.net website, as the new look of the site probably gave awway.. This was a major upgrade, with some significant changes:
- I've upgraded from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8. I got most of the old content migrated over, but it's still a work in progress. Currently:
- Most visibly, I've switched to the default Drupal 8 theme, bartik. It's not ideal, but it'll take quite some time to port over my old theme, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. At the very least I plan on tweaking bartik to better meet my needs, but I'm not sure how much of the old look and feel I'll be able to pull over.
- Forum content is completely missing. This appears to be due to a bug in the migration scripts. I'll see if I can write a script to cover that myself, but honestly don't know if it's going to be worth the trouble considering they've been read-only for several years now.
- Navigation/links/permissions may not be 100% correct at this point, though most things should work. I need to tweak a few things to work with the new/different permissions available in this version of Drupal.
- There are known rendering issues on several pages, especially wherever dates are shown. I haven't had time to rewrite them to use the new Drupal API yet.
- I've upgraded from PHP 5 to PHP 7. This has affected a number of support scripts on the website, but I believe the user-facing scripts should be working as expected now. Finding and fixing all issues in all scripts will likely be an ongoing process for some time.
- I've switched to Let's Encrypt for TLS certificates instead of my own LegRoom CA. This has two important implications:
- From now on, the secure (HTTPS) version of my website should be trusted by any browser.
- As a result, I'm forcing encryption on by default for all visitors.
I'll be tweaking the site much more and working out the kinks over the next few days. In the meantime you see anything obviously wrong or missing, please let me know so I can add it to the list.